It's only when you get alongside that it's clear that this car wasn't parked -it crashed into a lamp post while sliding backwards down the hill -presumably with all occupants screaming in terror trying to wheelspin their way out of trouble.
It must have been frightening -we hope they are all right.
Even so, as you look up the 1 in 4 hill, seeing more than one vehicle crashed on it, some thoughts spring to mind.
- What made the drivers think going up here was a good idea? You can't into kingsdown by car all that is left is the parking on Dove Street.
- On a day like friday, all parking restrictions are cancelled.There's no reason to park on Dove St.
- The streets were covered in snow and ice, and vehicles couldn't get up less steep roads -some of the main Kingsdown access routes were blocked off, and we saw Cotham Hill earlier -that's a 5-10% gradient maximum.
- If you do get to the top of Dove St to park, you'll have to come down this or the other hill-option later -and again, that could be icy.
- If your attempt fails, you aren't going to just get stuck. You will slide down backwards until you hit something.
If this hill was a secret rat-run, we could see why someone would want to go up there. But it isn't -and these photos show why you should avoid it after snow unless you have a sledge.