Friday 6 February 2009

Hiver sur l'Alpe des Neuf Arbres

Contributor TG sends in this photo from 08:17 this morning on the junction of nine-tree-hill and and Stoke's Croft. Looks like the car went into sledge-mode and just slid down the hill, going over the kerb to stop people contraflowing, and then down the final stretch before coming to a halt into the one-way sign. Hope they were OK and that nobody was walking up at the time.

As someone who regularly contraflows this road on a bike, I find the one-way kerb setup and signage inconvenient, and must be pretty bad for any pedestrian trying to get a wide pushchair up here to find a one-way sign in the middle of the pavement. Today, when the alternative stopping facility would have been traffic in Stokes Croft, the sign came in handy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assuming that the car's going to be there for a while yet, I wonder if anyone from traffic control will deign to ticket the driver for going the wrong way down a one-way street. Heck - there may even be enough evidence for a successful prosecution of some sort!

Anonymous said...

I think you are exempt if you do the contraflow with the wheels locked while you and the passengers are screaming in terror.

SP said...

Crikey that must have been scary.

I have my sympathies with the driver, but really I can't help wondering what idiot thought it safe to attempt 9TH in this weather.

SP said...

Did TG check to see if anyone was still in the car? :)

Thomas Guest said...

SP, I can confirm the car was empty when I took the photo. At what point exactly it became empty, I'm not sure.